If you are considering settling a car accident case, consult with an experienced Injury Lawyer in Waterloo. Considering the financial and emotional costs of a car accident, it’s easy to see how a settlement can seem like the best option. It allows the injured party to receive compensation while bypassing the cost of medical care, litigation fees, and other expenses that come with filing a lawsuit.
A settlement is not always in your best interest, however. An injury lawyer will be able to help you determine whether or not filing a lawsuit is in your best interest. Some considerations may include the following:
• You will be able to obtain compensation for your injuries. When you settle your case, you will get the compensation you need to pay for medical bills and other expenses related to the crash. You may also receive money for pain and suffering. You can use this money to pay off bills or put it toward future expenses.
• You might not receive all the medical treatment that you need. For example, if you are seeking compensation for future medical expenses and long-term care, then it’s possible that the amount of money offered will not cover all of your treatment needs. In this case, other funding sources may be needed (such as Medicare or Medicaid).
• Your settlement might not include lost wages if you could not work after being injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence. This could leave you with no source of income other than Social Security disability benefits or workers’ compensation payments from your employer — which may be insufficient to cover your expenses while recovering from your injuries.
• You will not have to deal with having to go to court. This is one of the most common reasons people opt to settle their car accident cases. The main reason behind this decision is that many people do not want to go through all the stress and hassle that comes with going to court. Going through all this means having to appear before a judge and testify against another person or company. This can be pretty traumatic and stressful, especially if you are not used to doing so.
• If the insurance company offers a settlement, don’t be surprised if they offer a lower amount than you think it should be. They will try to convince you to accept less money by telling you that their offer is fair and reasonable. Don’t believe them! Insurance companies are in the business of making money, not paying claims. That’s why they fight tooth and nail not to pay any claims. So they’ll always offer less than they should to keep more money in their pockets. Even if an insurance company does provide a fair settlement amount, you should still consult with an injury lawyer before accepting any money from them.